Watch Michael talk through the Visual Squash NLP technique in this video.
Visual Squash is an NLP technique to solve internal conflicts. The principles and elements of the technique have a wide range of applications.
How to apply the Visual Squash technique.
- Make an image of the two conflicting ideas/parts and place one in each hand. Create a mental image for each. Feel the weight of each image in each hand.
- What is the positive intention of each element of the conflict? What are they doing for you e.g making you feel relaxed/productive, earning more money/enjoying time with friends? Create an image for each of the positive intentions, and replace the existing images in your hands with these images. Again feel the weight or lightness of these images in your hands.
- Now create a third image, which combines the good intention of the other two images and imagine it hovvering above your two hands.
- Now let your two hands join together and merge (squash) the two images in your hands into this third image.
- When you feel ready to make a change, bring your two hands towards your chest and absorb the third image into your body. Let that useful change occur in exactly the right way for you.
- When you’ve fully noticed that change, come back to full consciousness, ready to enjoy the rest of your day.
With greatest thanks to Richard Bandler who created the original visual squash technique. www.richardbandler.com
The next section considers values and value rules..
Full NLP Techniques List
Key NLP Techniques Section Index
3: Amplify feelings
4: Bad memories (Dissolving)
5: Bad memories (Exploding)
6: Beliefs and belief change
7: Perceptual positions
8: Fast phobia cure
9: Hypnosis and meditation
11: Metaprogrammes, Profiles and Preferences
13. Progressive dissociation
14: Self Compassion
15: Senses and Sub-modalities
16. Six step re-framing
20: Time and timeline
21. Visual Squash (This page)
22: Values and value rules