Getting to There
This video introduces ways to explore how to help your client get to their goals.
NLP has many approaches to help in this situation, however I suggest a few simple approaches first.
- Ask the client to break the challenge into a number of milestones as in section 2.
- If they’re having a challenge starting, break the first milestone into smaller steps and repeat breaking them down to even smaller steps if necessary.
- Have the client ask others for help and advice.
- Check they know:
- What to do.
- Why they’re doing it
- How to do it.
Then if they’re not doing it ask them some ‘meta model’ type questions around – What’s stopping them? The answer may become obvious.
If they’re still not taking action the next section may help (together with all the steps in sections 8 & 9)
- Take something you’ve found difficult to start. Break it down into steps so small that you no longer have an excuse not to start.
- Write down a list of people who could help. Ask them what they would do or what they would do if they were you.
In the next section we look at Mental Rehearsal, an essential part of helping our client rehearse and take the best action.
Full NLP Techniques List
NLP Coaching Section Index
2: Success system and model
3: NLP coaching model
4: Beginning frame
5: States and anchors
6: End goals and direction
8: Where are you
9: Getting to there (This section)
10: Mental rehearsal
11: End frame