The Rules of Leadership
In this video, Michael talks through the rules of leading.
The eight rules of leadership.
- Leading is about creating useful change. It starts with creating a vision – the image of a destination. Remember, we’re creating something that doesn’t exist yet.
- Exude purpose. Be clear. Where are you heading and what do you need others to do?
- Create and protect a culture and environment that supports achieving the vision.This means showing others how they are expected to act, and sometimes removing people that do not fit the culture. You want the business to be healthy (in the widest sense), so you need to create a healthy team and company.
- Create a strategy, a plan, a number of steps that support achieving the vision. You need to make the sometimes difficult choices of where to allocate and focus your own and others resources. (The Balanced Scorecard which we cover in Section 5 helps us do this)
- Enrol and engage the right people. They need the right tools and guidance:
- commitment to decisions and actions emember
- unfiltered conflict in regard to the best ideas
- focus on achieving collective results.
- Remember the difference between authority and responsibility. We don’t need authority to lead. We do need to take responsibility.
- Leadership is risky. Remember that at times we will fail. Maybe repeatedly. we are creating something new – treading a new path. Treat what you’re doing seriously, but not taking ourselves too seriously in the process. Beating yourself up doesn’t help anyone.
- It’s personal, but it’s about a lot more than just the leader.
In the next section, we turn to The Rules of Management.
NLP Leadership Section Index
NLP Leadership 1: Leadership, management, action and review
NLP Leadership 2: Rules of Leadership
NLP Leadership 3: Management
NLP Leadership 4: Action
NLP Leadership 5: Review
NLP Leadership 6: Summary