Feedforward is an exceptionally effective way of getting useful suggestions for the future and is invaluable in the discovery and planning stages of a coaching programme. (Our stakeholder coaching programmes make use of this approach throughout the programme.)
Feedforward is purely about suggestions for the future, whereas feedback is about information about the past.
- Choose one of your directions/end goals.
- Choose 5-10 of your key stakeholders. Ideally the stakeholders need to need to have experience of you in the context of that goal.
- Ask each stakeholder for 10-15 minutes of their time to help you develop your approach to a development programme you’re investing in. Face to face, skype and phone all work well.
- Ask each stakeholder to be totally straight with you. For example ask “I’m investing in a development programme to become a coach that offer their clients real value. I respect your judgement and would like your input. For this exercise please be totally straight and honest with me.” “Is that OK?”
- Then ask: “If you were me and taking the programme, what would be the top two elements you would focus on to become a great coach that adds real value?”. Shut up and listen!
- Thank them and write whatever they say down, you’re thanking them for the taking the time to think and answer NOT for your opinion of their suggestions. Only evaluate their suggestions later with your coach.
- Check in with your coach, going through each suggestion and commit to what action you’re going to take. Please note less is often more.
- We recommend you drop a note to each stakeholder thanking them and outlining what your going to do, even if you’re not actioning their specific suggestion this time.
Be aware of the Marshall Goldsmith stakeholder process: Ask, listen, thank, think, respond, change, follow up.
Leadership Self Assessment
We’re also offering a Marshall Goldsmith leadership self assessment as part of our planning and discovery phase.Sign Up For Our Occasional Email Updates Book a 45 Minute Skype Session in Michael’s Online Diary
Full NLP Techniques List
NLP Plan Section Index
2: Self sabotage
3: Plans A, B & Z
4: Success Quiz
5: Time, energy and focus
6: End goals, milestones and focus
7: Feedforward (This page)
8: Planning and review questions
9: Daily questions