Video of Michael explaining why planning might not be working for you.
Let’s start by looking at the reasons some people don’t plan.
What stops us from planning effectively?
- We’re frightened of taking responsibility for achieving the plan or uncovering our own strengths and weaknesses.
- We’ve never learnt how to plan.
- We haven’t allocated time for it.
- We make our plans too complicated.
- We get too comfortable in the ‘fantasy’ of planning and never get around to entering the real world.
- We’ve been too optimistic in our planning in the past, not produced the results we want, and we’ve blamed our bad results on the planning process.
- We’ve listened to the experiences of others, who themselves don’t know how to plan effectively.
How can we make planning easier?
- Keep plans very simple.
- Allocate time to plan (and review). Timebox it.
- Accept that any new activity often takes longer than we think. Build generous time-buffers into the plan.
- Listen to people that make the planning process work for them – not those that haven’t.
- Relish the opportunity to demonstrate ambition, courage, discipline and openness.
- Remember that it’s the only way to learn – we can’t succeed without first failing.
- Learn how to plan. This guide is a good start.
- Keep at it. The more we follow the process the easier it becomes.
The next session explores the benefits of having a Plan A , Plan B and Plan Z. We may never need our Plan Z, but it’s empowering having a contingency.Sign Up For Our Occasional Email Updates Book a 45 Minute Skype Session in Michael’s Online Diary
Full NLP Techniques List
NLP Plan Section Index
1: NLP Planning
2: Self sabotage (This page)
3: Plans A, B & Z
4: Success Quiz
5: Time, energy and focus
6: End goals, milestones and focus
8: Planning and review questions
9: Daily questions