Watch Michael talk through the Visual Squash NLP technique in this video.
Visual Squash is an NLP technique to solve internal conflicts. The principles and elements of the technique have a wide range of applications.
How to apply the Visual Squash technique.
- Make an image of the two conflicting ideas/parts and place one in each hand. Create a mental image for each. Feel the weight of each image in each hand.
- What is the positive intention of each element of the conflict? What are they doing for you e.g making you feel relaxed/productive, earning more money/enjoying time with friends? Create an image for each of the positive intentions, and replace the existing images in your hands with these images. Again feel the weight or lightness of these images in your hands.
- Now create a third image, which combines the good intention of the other two images and imagine it hovering above your two hands.
- Now let your two hands join together and merge (squash) the two images in your hands into this third image.
- When you feel ready to make a change, bring your two hands towards your chest and absorb the third image into your body. Let that useful change occur in exactly the right way for you.
- When you’ve fully noticed that change, come back to full consciousness, ready to enjoy the rest of your day.
With greatest thanks to Richard Bandler who created the original visual squash technique. www.richardbandler.com
The final section summarises all the key NLP techniques we have looked at.
KEY NLP Techniques Section Index
NLP Techniques 1: Introduction
NLP Techniques 2: Beliefs
NLP Techniques 3: Values
NLP Techniques 4: Perceptual positions
NLP Techniques 5: Senses and Sub-modalities
NLP Techniques 6: Strategies
NLP Techniques 7: Profiles
NLP techniques 8: Time and timeline
NLP Techniques 9: Hypnosis and meditation
NLP Techniques 10: Storytelling
NLP Techniques 11: Modelling
NLP Techniques 12: Fast phobia cure
NLP Techniques 13. Progressive dissociation
NLP Techniques 14. Six step re-framing
NLP Techniques 15. Swish
NLP Techniques 16. Visual Squash
NLP Techniques 17. Summary